Project Title: IUSE-Polar: PolarTREC - Teachers and Researchers Exploring and
Collaborating (Award# 1525880KM)
PI:McCarthy, Kelly () Phone: Institute/Department:Our Lady of Lourdes Regional School, IPY Project? Funding Agency:US\Federal\NSF\GEO\OPP\ARC\ARE\TREC Program Manager:Ms. Elizabeth Rom (firstname.lastname@example.org ) Discipline(s): |Education and Outreach |
Science Summary: For this project, ARCUS will administer and implement, "IUSE-Polar: PolarTREC- Teachers and Researchers Exploring and Collaborating", an international program that brings together U.S. teachers to participate in cutting-edge field research with polar scientists in various, and often remote, locations in the Arctic and Antarctica. Through hands-on field experiences in the Arctic and Antarctica, 48 participating teachers (pre-service and in-service) will improve teaching strategies, develop resources for their careers, and change how they teach STEM in the classroom. The program goal is to invigorate polar science education and understanding by bringing educators and polar researchers together in professional collaboration. By integrating research and education, PolarTREC will help sustain and grow the considerable scientific, public, and political enthusiasm for polar research and education.
The project will achieve this goal through the following objectives:
(1) to improve teachers’ STEM content knowledge of the Polar Regions and transfer to the classroom;
(2) to increase teachers’ knowledge and use of STEM practices with their students in the classroom;
(3) to develop teachers’ educational leadership skills and give opportunities to teacher to be influential leaders in their professional community;
(4) to improve the evidence base of successful strategies that utilize teacher leadership skills for the purpose of broadening participation in polar STEM learning;
(5) to increase students’ understanding and engagement in the Polar Regions and interest in polar-related STEM careers; and
(6) to develop long-term professional relationships between the education and research communities.
Data will be collected using a mixed methods evaluation design, with both quantitative and qualitative elements to address the evaluation questions and report on objectives. Survey data will be analyzed using descriptive and inferential statistics. Evaluators will track impacts on students, teachers, and researchers.
Logistics Summary: In the spring of 2016, PolarTREC teacher Kelly McCarthy will join PI John Woods on the NASA funded project titled Operation IceBridge 2016.
Greenland - Kangerlussuaq
04 / 21 / 2016
05 / 19 / 2016
Parameters used to generate this report:, Grant# = "1525880KM", IPY = "ALL"
Number of projects returned based on your query parameters = 1